ERRATIC WEATHER AND POLLUTION IS LEADING TO ALLERGIC CONJUNCTIVITIS
Bengaluru, April 23, 2018: Bengaluru is a dream destination for many; however, the rising temperature and pollution seems to be taking its toll on the residents. The city is witnessing an increase in allergic conjunctivitis, a condition which can impact the vision.
Allergicconjunctivitis is a condition that results in inflammation of conjunctiva inresponse to allergens in the environment. Although not life threatening,people tend to neglect and attempt self medication which is dangerous. Ifuntreated, allergic conjunctivitis can damage the cornea affecting the vision.Pain, redness, itchiness, gritty feeling and constant tearing up are the mostcommon symptoms of allergic conjunctivitis. While medication (eye drops) isused to treat allergic conjunctivitis, some have significant side effects aswell like cataract formation, glaucoma, infections of the cornea andconjunctiva which require surgical intervention.
Elaboratingabout the condition, Dr. Amod Nayak, Medical Director, Dr. Agarwal’sEye Hospital, Whitefield, Bengaluru, said, “The rising temperature,dry weather and the pollution in the environment are some of the reasons forallergic conjunctivitis. In fact, Out of the 10 patients who walk in everydayto our hospital around 4 are diagnosed with allergic conjunctivitis. However,usage of sunglasses while going out and intake of adequate amount of water canhelp prevent the condition. Mild steroids are prescribed to patients withallergic conjunctivitis.”
While theoccurrence of the condition cannot be completely ruled out, following healthyhabits can prevent the condition. Some of the tips to keep your eyessafe from allergic conjunctivitis are:
· Reduceexposure to allergens by maintaining a clean and tidy surrounding
· Avoidsharing of cosmetics especially eye make-up and also reduce the usage of it
· Frequentcleaning of the eyes with clean cold water will wash away the allergens and thechemical mediators that cause itching
· Avoidsitting close to the AC
· Avoidusing woollen blankets
· Keeppets clean and avoid any contact with the possible secretions and fur of them
· Avoidusing carpets inside house
· Avoidself medication