Study reveals that Chennai and Bangalore led the demand for wedding services in 2019
India, January 9th, 2020: A study undertaken by Sulekha, India’s leading AI-driven tech platform for expert services has unveiled interesting trends and insights about the demand for wedding services in Indian cities.
The wedding market in India will exceed Rs 1.6 trillion as per industry estimates. These days, it is not uncommon to see people spending upwards of Rs. 15-20 lakhs on just wedding food & catering services and the bar for vendor quality continues to be raised.
This study is based on visits and searches by nearly 27 lakh consumers across Indian cities that landed on Sulekha’s Wedding Hub platform in 2019 representing a 33% increase in overall visits and searches across Indian cities, compared to 2018.
Key findings of the study:
· In 2019, the most number of online searches have landed on Sulekha for Wedding Caterers, Wedding Planners and Astrologers. There has also been an increase in online searches for Women’s Beauty Parlors, Marriage hall rentals, Bridal wear rentals, Wedding photographers, Bridal makeup and Mehndi services.
· In 2019, 2,86,665 online searches have landed on Sulekha for Wedding catering services; an significant increase of 65% in comparison to 2018. This indicates the strength of wedding industry in India and demonstrates how it is decoupled from the rest of the economy which is experiencing a slowdown.
· Chennai (38,780), Bangalore (34,521) and Hyderabad (29,972) are the top 3 Indian cities that are leading the online searches for Wedding catering services followed by Mumbai (30,852), Ahmedabad (6,680) and Kolkata (19,789).
· 204,840 online searches have landed on Sulekha for Wedding Planners; there has been a 47% increase in the searches when compared to 2018. Delhi (34,607) is leading the demand followed by Mumbai (30,608) and Bangalore (28,607).
· The online search for Astrology services have shown a 77% increase from last year, indicating that traditional beliefs still dominate in a rapidly changing and tech-driven world.
· Bangalore (34,714) is leading in the search for Astrology services and has shown an increase of 120% in comparison to 2018; followed by Kolkata (34,306) and Chennai (31,976).
Women Beauty Parlors
· 129,384 online searches have landed on Sulekha for Women Beauty Parlors; Delhi (22,372) is leading the demand followed by Mumbai (22,331) and Chennai (20,282).
Marriage Hall Rentals
· In the last one year, 108,889 online searches have landed on Sulekha for Marriage Hall Rental services; an astounding increase by 156% in comparison to 2018.
· Chennai (35,154), Mumbai (18,535) and Hyderabad (14,344) are the top 3 Indian cities that are leading the online searches for Marriage Hall Rental services followed by Bangalore (13,668), and Kolkata (10,836).
Bridal Wear Rentals
· The online search for Bridal wear Rental services have shown a significant increase from last year, indicating that more people are preferring to rent bridal wear rather than buy.
· Delhi (25,313) is leading in the search for Bridal Wear Rental services and has shown an increase by 45% in comparison to 2018; followed by Mumbai (23,015) and Pune (13,170).
· 78,350 online searches have landed on Sulekha for Wedding Photography Services; there has been a 172% increase in the searches when compared to 2018. Kolkata (20,068) is leading the demand followed by Chennai (15,379) and Mumbai (10,000).
· 75,299 online searches have landed on Sulekha for Bridal Makeup Services; there has been a 25% (Delhi) increase in the searches when compared to 2018. Delhi (16,878) is leading the demand followed by Kolkata (11,566) and Mumbai (10,526).
· Online searches for Mehndi services increased in 2019 by 393%. Chennai (8,117) is leading the demand followed by Mumbai (6,424) and Hyderabad (5,020).
Satya Prabhakar, Founder & CEO, Sulekha, said, “Our recent study shows that there is a sharp increase in the online searches for wedding services in the past one year. This could be an indication of an increase in the number of couples searching for wedding services online as opposed to traditional word-of-mouth way through friends/family. It also suggests that young couples are more involved in the wedding planning process these days as compared to previous generations. Moreover, these young couples are engaging the services of fairly new experts such as wedding planners and wedding make-up artists. In 2020, we will continue to see eco-conscious wedding trends such as renting bridal wear and eco-friendly wedding ceremonies. The demand for photographers will continue to soar due to a large number of young couples opting for pre-wedding shoots and wedding shoots.”
Sulekha will share interesting insights on multiple Home, Office and Education related services as a part of a regular Trend Tracker.